icecream sandwich cake


About a month ago, I was browsing Pinterest for a new summer dessert recipe and came across an amazing icecream sandwich cake by Tatertots & Jello.



Just look at that thing!  It is heaven (and I promise it has no calories).

I knew it was the perfect dessert to bring to a family BBQ.




For this recipe you will need:



  • icecream sandwiches - buy two boxes just in case!  (The original recipe calls for 10 sandwiches but I used more like 20 and had to run to the store halfway through!!)
  • chocolate syrup
  • caramel syrup
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • your favorite candy bar (I used two kinds because I couldn't help myself)





I always use homemade whipped cream.  It's quick and easy and makes a big difference in the richness of your dessert.  Plus it gives me a good excuse to use my KitchenAid mixer.  But if you aren't making your whipped cream, you won't need a mixer.  

Finally, the last ingredient is a Susie Homemaker apron (as seen in the reflection).



First, whip 2 cups of heavy whipping cream.  Begin on a low setting and add granulated sugar to taste.  Gradually increase the speed to medium high.  Beat until fluffy but don't overbeat!



Foil a baking pan.  I used a 9"x9" square pan.



Next, line the bottom of your pan with icecream sandwiches.
The hot day helped to slightly melt the sandwiches so that I could squeeze them to fit tightly.  Plus, 5 halves means that I could eat the last half!






Top your sandwiches with half your whipped cream.




Pour chocolate and caramel syrup on top and spread evenly.





Then top with crushed candy bars.  Try not to eat them all.



Add another layer of icecream sandwiches and whipped cream.  

Top with remaining crushed candy bars.




Loosely cover the top with foil and freeze for at least three hours, preferably overnight.  

Okay, here's the hard part.  The original recipe says to freeze for a couple hours, then remove the foil, place on a display plate, and put it back in the freezer.  HOWEVER, I tried this and it was a complete mess.  The chocolate and caramel sauces don't freeze and were running everywhere.  I was so worried that the sauces would run all over my cake plate that I removed the foil and placed it back in its original pan.

This dessert was a HUGE hit at our family BBQ.  The entire pan was gone in about 30 seconds!  Unfortunately, that meant I could not get a picture of a cut piece so that you could see the inside.  So I am leaving you with this picture from the original recipe's website.  



The best part about this recipe is that it can very easily be made into a nut-free version by substituting the candy bars for oreos and chocolate chips.  Just make sure to make your nut-free version, wrap it, and place it in the freezer BEFORE you open your candy bars.  This will ensure there is no cross contamination.

Enjoy and let me know if you try this recipe.  I'd love to see how yours comes out!





No comments:

Post a Comment