math mentor texts


Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there!  I just came home from brunch with my mother-in-law and am now relaxing before I go back out for a late lunch with my stepmother.  In the meantime, I'm linking up with Collaboration Cuties to share some of the mentor texts I use in my math classes.


The first mentor text I'd like to share is Math Curse by Jon Scieszka and Lane Smith.  


I always read this book in September as part of our "Let's get excited for math" lesson.  Afterward, I challenge the kids to try to solve all of the problems and always get a couple who take me up on it.  It's fun to watch them stick with it when the math gets really high level, but they are so proud of themselves when they finish.



The next is Multiplying Menace, The Revenge of Rumpelstiltskin by Pam Calvert.

 

I love to read this book to introduce our multiplication unit.  It has a great story line and the kids like to call out the answers as we read.



And finally, The Multiplying Menace Divides also by Pam Calvert.


Since our division unit comes directly after our multiplication unit, the kids are always excited to read this sequel.  The story lines are similar enough that they can enjoy the familiarity between the two, yet different enough to keep them entertained.


Can't wait to check out what everyone else uses and get some great ideas for next year!  
Have a great Sunday everyone!



Follow my blog with Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. I am going to have to look for the Multiplying Menace Divides-I don't have that one yet!

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you have a fun, busy day planned! I have not heard of either of these menace books!!! Where have I been??? I'm definitely going to check in to those, ASAP! I'm so glad that you linked them up!!

    I hope you had a great day!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of these menace books before, but they sound wonderful and PERFECT to introduce multiplication and division! Thank you so much for sharing!!!

    I'm a new follower!

    Kelly
    Koonce’s Korner

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those all look like cute books. It always makes me happy to see my kids persevere through tough problems. Thanks for sharing!

    Becky
    Compassionate Teacher

    ReplyDelete